History

Elsick is not a castle but has as much drama and history as any baronial building. It has been in the hands of the Bannerman family since 1367. The family have owned the house and estate continuously, apart from a period after the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, when they found themselves on the wrong side. They were originally the carriers of the royal standard in the 10th and 11th centuries and continued to be an important family within North Eastern Scotland, owning properties in Ellon and West of Aberdeen in addition to their seat at Elsick. A baronetcy was awarded to Alexander Bannerman of Elsick by Charles II.

Queen Mary attending the third birthday of James Carnegie (3rd Duke of Fife) at Elsick.

Elsick came into the Carnegie family when the 10th Earl of Southesk married Ethel Bannerman, daughter of Sir Alexander Bannerman of Elsick and Crimonmogate and sole heiress. The house is now owned by the Duke of Fife, great grandson of Ethel Bannerman, who lives with his family in Angus.

Queen Elizabeth marks the late Duke's sixth birthday with a tree planting.

Throughout those centuries the house has adapted and altered to the circumstances of the family and its fortunes.  The oldest part of the house dates back to the 13th century and the rooms have hosted many a party and celebration, witnessing battles and entertaining royals.  It is fitting therefore that it has undergone the latest renovation and is now at the centre of entertaining once again

Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret join in the eighth birthday celebrations.